• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

540 EFI Build-up Thread

There is the culprit! Looks like the exhaust valves are lashed a lil deep in the lifter so the rocker hits on the guideplates. Ill readjust today and try her again tomorrow.

0823141415_zpsruz8zftp.jpg

I'm sure you did, but I have to ask. Did you measure for correct pushrod length during set up? Can't tell from the pic is the rocker centered over valve stem?

Yea we measured for pushrods and they are custom length Manton .120 wall pushrods. The rocker is centered nicely on the valve stem. Guideplates are adjustable so we spent quite a bit of time aligning things. Not sure how we overlooked this but at least I caught it. Main reason for this is we did one full turn of preload when we lashed them. Backing it off a half turn is solving my problems except i ran into a poly lock that didnt have the threads tapped properly and the set screw is seized, so i have to order a new one and a couple spares on Monday.

Yea we measured for pushrods and they are custom length Manton .120 wall pushrods. The rocker is centered nicely on the valve stem. Guideplates are adjustable so we spent quite a bit of time aligning things. Not sure how we overlooked this but at least I caught it. Main reason for this is we did one full turn of preload when we lashed them. Backing it off a half turn is solving my problems except i ran into a poly lock that didnt have the threads tapped properly and the set screw is seized, so i have to order a new one and a couple spares on Monday.

May be your missing RPMs too?

Prop is a 25p Revolution 4. Alex seems to think that is an issue too. I just cant believe a 25p would turn that hard. He wants me to find a 26p bravo or similar to try and get rpm back. He is not a fan of this prop when he has tried it. I have a 28p hydromotive and a 28p powertech ofx4 here on the bench. I think i will try the hydro next time out. It turns easy for a 28 from a couple friends who have tried it.

I can turn a stock bravo 1 28 5600 @ 82-83

Yea, thats about the pitch range I figure I will end at 26-28p but turning 6300 rpm which is where my peak is supposed to be. The tune right now shows Im fuelling between 600-650 hp at 5600 rpm which is not bad considering the timing is still on the tame side while I burn some old gas out of the tank. Hopefully in a couple days I will be back in the water.

Now that you have to much power for the smaller props what ya gonna sell me ? Im ready to drop it down a notch or two. When you headed to Standish so I can Check this beast out.

Now that you have to much power for the smaller props what ya gonna sell me ? Im ready to drop it down a notch or two. When you headed to Standish so I can Check this beast out.

Not so sure I have one too small....haha. planning on staying in standish next weekend for th holiday. Gonna get the polylocks i need to be running again express shipped tomorrow so i will be ready. You comin up?

What the hell happened to that hydro? Somebody worked that one over hard. The stock hydros worked pretty decent on my 242, took out a bit of the midrange porpoise and ran hard up on top. If you need to borrow props let me know, I have 2 sets of 28 one solid hub one torque flo, a set of 29's that were labbed heavily and run very fast but aren't in great shape. And a set of 5 blade bravo ears in 27 p. I have a couple of the factory shipping boxes, so if you pay shipping you can use them. But if you break em you own em, except the 29's those could go at any time

What the hell happened to that hydro? Somebody worked that one over hard. The stock hydros worked pretty decent on my 242, took out a bit of the midrange porpoise and ran hard up on top. If you need to borrow props let me know, I have 2 sets of 28 one solid hub one torque flo, a set of 29's that were labbed heavily and run very fast but aren't in great shape. And a set of 5 blade bravo ears in 27 p. I have a couple of the factory shipping boxes, so if you pay shipping you can use them. But if you break em you own em, except the 29's those could go at any time
Thanks for the offer! I may have to take you up on that. Im hoping one of my three props will be decent enough to get me through the last few weeks of season up here. I need to get some old gas burnt out and such before I start serious prop testing, and oh yea, HYDRAULIC EXTERNAL STEERING! Not pushing it hard until I have that. I just wanna be on the water at this point.

I've been told that about that Hydro but I have seen a few just like it. I think it is a older model when they used to make a cleaver version. If it is worked, they did a good job because I can't tell that it has been touched. No lab markings, blades are definitely not thinned either. They are thick as hell.

Totally different shape than the Q1V, my dad used to run a 3 blade version of the intimidators that looked like that. Let me know, I can only use 1 set at a time.

It has been a crazy couple weeks here and I have been working mostly in the field along with college semester starting again. Ive got some great news to share and just havent had enough time to sit down. Motor has had three tanks of gas burned through it and is still going but I havent turned up the wick on the tune yet. Been too concerened with just getting back on the water and using it. Top speed so far has been from the Rev 4 prop at 75 mph gps @5700 rpm. Going to try a 24p mach sterndriver just to try and find the upper rpm range.

Back