• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HOW FAST IS YOUR CHECKMATE? EVERYONE!

1988 Checkmate 251
-mild 509ci, B&M 250 7psi roughly 700+hp
-hydromotive nose cone, dual ram add on steering
-labbed 30p, 5500 rpm, 87.6 mph gps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASkRP7ZCweQ

2eohc9u.jpg
[/IMG]
8yrs54.jpg
[/IMG]

Needs to be on "aired out " Nice run!!

82.59 with a 28 hydromotive Quad IV-X O/T
thats it so far. New prop coming tomorrow,Another 28 i will post what kind if it actually work after good rumors i heard! Heading to the St. Croix river this weekend! hope to enjoy one last weekend in the 70s before winter hibernation!

Last edited:
82.59 with a 28 hydromotive Quad IV-X O/T
thats it so far. New prop coming tomorrow,Another 28 i will post what kind if it actually work after good rumors i heard! Heading to the St. Croix river this weekend! hope to enjoy one last weekend in the 70s before winter hibernation!

How'd that new prop work for you?

Finally got around to testing after doing a few mods to the engine this spring. Picked up 3.5 mph. Still same 24 Trophy and 5.5" jack plate and I'm pretty sure it got on the limiter a couple of times so it needs more prop.

Screenshot_2014-11-01-11-21-00_zps8rapjvpi.png

Finally got around to testing after doing a few mods to the engine this spring. Picked up 3.5 mph. Still same 24 Trophy and 5.5" jack plate and I'm pretty sure it got on the limiter a couple of times so it needs more prop.

Screenshot_2014-11-01-11-21-00_zps8rapjvpi.png

How much power to you think you are making now? What are your gear ratios and rpm?

If I had to guess I'd say around 270 maybe 275. The 250xb is supposed to be 280 and it's similar to mine but with tighter heads and better fuel computer so it should make a little more than mine. It's a regular 1.75 lower, no lwpu or anything. Turning about 6200 maybe a little more, not 100% sure where the limiter is on the 300 ignition box.

How'd that new prop work for you?
didnt work! lol it needs vent holes, took 50 feet or more to get on plane and top end the 3 blade was all over with the high winds and air in my steering i could not get a top end run, but i did see 80 with it and it had more just couldnt drive it!

I'm bored at work so I'll chime in; My '90 GTX 251 runs 66MPH with a 3-blade 25P prop at ~4,700 RPM. I have a pretty decent 518ci engine with Gil exhaust but I overheated and cracked one of my 088 heads last spring and I've been running a set of stock peanut port Merc heads I had in the garage this season. It used to run 71MPH at ~5,200 RPM. As soon as I can talk my wife into I I'm hoping to get a set of aluminum heads and shave some weight and pick up my lost speed.

As a side note... It amazes me what a difference 5 MPH makes on the water. At 66 MPH my boat feels solid like its just cruising along. I bought it 2 years ago and when it used to run 71 MPH it always felt kind of skittish or something. Maybe its just another year of experience with it.

As a side note... It amazes me what a difference 5 MPH makes on the water. At 66 MPH my boat feels solid like its just cruising along. I bought it 2 years ago and when it used to run 71 MPH it always felt kind of skittish or something. Maybe its just another year of experience with it.

You'll get that loose feeling back when you find your lost speed. My 253 has a similar feeling with similar speed, I want to play with props next season to see what changes.

I'm bored at work so I'll chime in; My '90 GTX 251 runs 66MPH with a 3-blade 25P prop at ~4,700 RPM. I have a pretty decent 518ci engine with Gil exhaust but I overheated and cracked one of my 088 heads last spring and I've been running a set of stock peanut port Merc heads I had in the garage this season. It used to run 71MPH at ~5,200 RPM. As soon as I can talk my wife into I I'm hoping to get a set of aluminum heads and shave some weight and pick up my lost speed.

I've posted my top speed numbers before in this thread that I started a few years ago.... I actually don't remember the excact numbers right now as I've been drinking...BUT, it's still a stock 454 with a Wieand 177 supercharger and the Mercruiser 525SC Cam and a Holley 850 and CMI headers (Same ones used on the 525SC). I'm running Low-mid 70's on a good, cool day. The engine has been bullit proof for 9 years even though it is not even a Mag with Forged pistons and crank. Still running the 26P Bravo One at around 5000 rpm.

2008 20ft palsare bow rider YAMAHA SHO 250 MARINE MACHINE side steer 12.5" set back Hydromtive intimadator 27 6700 91,8 best In the summer at 820 feet still playing with props and learning four stroke love the SHO and CHECKMATE

Back