• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mounting a Motor to a Jack Plate

DropTop5.0

Hello gang,
Now that I have my motors I need to mount them (motors to a jackplate). that means I need hardware which of course got me thinking "where do I get bolts from"? West Marine, Overtons, Bobs Machine, Fastenall... Im not really sure. I looked over on scream and fly and there are quite a few different opinions of materials, thread type and nuts.

If I got a concesus, I felt it was fine thread stainless with a different metal nylon based nut (brass) and use plenty of antiseize.

Does anyone have a good source for mounting hardware that they like to use?

Here's a couple of links I found:
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/bolt-kit-engine-mount-to-jack-plate.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AVWDB...20&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

Do we have a supporting vendor that sells bolts?

Fastenall should have what you need..fine thread stainless / brass is good... I'm not a fan of the full length threat bolts, i like to have as much shoulder as possible even if i have to buy a longer length and cut it off..im crazy i guess lol... I mounted mine with coarse thread stainless bolts/ nuts. Have had them off several times moving the motor and haven't had any trouble...

Even with anti seize dont use stainless bolts with stainless nuts. Ive had to break quite a few of those bolts to get them out and its not fun torquing them to 250 lbs to snap the shank. Use the brass nuts.

Well I have to disagree with some of this. The bolts you buy at those "big box" stores aren't always the quality you think they are. We tested some of those Chinese bolts and the strength of some of them were like half of a known good bolt. What they called grade 8's were like 5's and the 5's were nothing I would bolt a big motor on with. So if you want to guarantee you get the correct quality bolt, buy them from the engine manufacture or someone like Fastenal.

If you want the very best bolts, we used to sell at OMC/BRP what were known as V8 bolts. Because of the weight of the engine we had very high quality bolts for those engines. They are heat treated 17-4PH stainless and they will say V8 on the heads or 17-4. If you use brass nuts there is no need for any never seize.

My .02

Back