• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

My 253 is for sale

Wow this boat was for sale a long time and then it went down like this . Sounds like something that would happen to me. I was wanting to buy Sed s blown 253 back when I was in the market. I would think buying it instead would put a smile back on Big Reds face.

This is why if you strike a deal.....put a deposit on it! Lets both parties know of the level of seriousness that you have with the deal. Also prevents (or at least should with honest people) this scenario from happening. Unfortunately until some kind of money has been laid down and some paperwork drawn up about the deal, anything can happen.

I though I had my boat sold once before it actually sold. Couple wanted to sea trial before deposit. fine, whatever.....problem is weather sucked for the 2-3 weeks we were in contact. They even went as far to get all of the serials/HIN from me to give to their bank on a Friday.....next Monday I received a text saying they bought something else over the weekend. During that time I laid back on my marketing of the boat. Glad it all worked out in the end and a serious buyer showed up to view it, placed deposit contingent on sea trial, and all went smoothly.

Pretty hard to turn down a sale to someone standing in front of you with money, to wait for someone else who said they would buy it if it is as good as it's suppose to be. Offer could have been higher too. You could tell the guy with money he has to wait till after Saturday for this other offer to run its course, but you could end up with no sale to either guy.

If the man ends up with no sale then its his fault for missrepersentting his boat for sale.. I was going on his word that the boat was A-1 shape and all flaws were discussed prior... I had no problem paying for the boat if it was as advertised...

We had a deal he said he was good till saturday till I got their,, Put insurance on the freaking boat... had all paper work worked out,,, He wanted a certified check instead of cash,,, had that done,,, talked all week .. Plus I am not dealing with a freaking bank cash on hand...
It just boils down too his word aint worth spit...

Sorry....

Sorry to hear this went this way, but here is my $.02 and experience:
I picked up a 28' Marinette express cruiser last spring from about 600 miles away. I made up a contract, sent it to the lady whose husband had passed. She signed a copy and sent back to me at which point I sent her a down payment, she held the boat from October until April when I could pick it up and get it on a trailer to haul home at which point I paid her the remainder. It was my idea to send her the down payment even though she told me she would hold it without a down payment.....Cash is king.

If the man ends up with no sale then its his fault for missrepersentting his boat for sale.. I was going on his word that the boat was A-1 shape and all flaws were discussed prior... I had no problem paying for the boat if it was as advertised...

Hey I feel for you, I've been in your position too. I once actually had someone throw my deposit back at me telling me the deal was off when I went cash in hand to pick it up( I believe they got a better offer before we got the deal complete).
But I have also lost a few sales holding something for a few days for someone. So I do not hold stuff.

If I was you I would have tried to get a deposit down and a conditional bill of sale. Like "Gimme Fuel" suggested.
On a positive note, at least you did not make a long trip for nothing, it's nice to find out you can 't have it before you show up rather than after.
Again I feel for you, but I also figure you will have very little trouble finding one just as nice. That boat is not a unicorn.

We had a deal he said he was good till saturday till I got their,, Put insurance on the freaking boat... had all paper work worked out,,, He wanted a certified check instead of cash,,, had that done,,, talked all week .. Plus I am not dealing with a freaking bank cash on hand...
It just boils down too his word aint worth spit...

I agree. Its not like the old western days, if you had a deal for a 1000 cattle, it was done on a hand shake. If you didnt have them when the buyer showed up, they would hang you. People just dont give a s**t anymore.

Im over it bridge is burnt,, I would not take it if he gave it to me now,, I have zero tolerance for BS and very quick to call it out.. and yes that has got me in deep chit several times in my life,, guess I am old school dont need a contract if I got your word.. Been leasing my land out to a farmer for crops for six years.. He wanted to do a contract I said not gonna happen.. Do what you say your gonna do. If not I will bush-hog your goods down..

have to disagree, had a couple of complete morons on my boat, gimme fuel had one of the same ones, agreed to buy, never saw jerked us around...me for for over a month...so none was to anything with mis-representing anything...we now have a world full of idiots !!! guy who bought it was strait up as they come...told him he helped restore some faith in humanity...

have to disagree, had a couple of complete morons on my boat, gimme fuel had one of the same ones, agreed to buy, never saw jerked us around...me for for over a month...so none was to anything with mis-representing anything...we now have a world full of idiots !!! guy who bought it was strait up as they come...told him he helped restore some faith in humanity...

We dont haft to agree I was not jerking chain called on a sunday night,, told him I was leaving friday after work,, driving 726 miles and see him Saturday... Talked all week... No chain jerking.. I can sniff a jerk off buyer a mile away LOL

Back