• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

My latest project. 13ft Paradise/Playmate copy

WILDMAN

I got this boat about 6 months ago. It's a 2001 Paradise 13ft. It's a copy of a Checkmate Playmate. Even though it's a 2001 boat and trailer, it's never been rigged. It has the original MSO with it. I need a windshield for it too. I'll probably have to make one. It sat outside for many years, so the interior is shot and the gel is faded. We stripped everything out of it today. I'm gonna do it up full custom. Probably yellow with green marble flames. I still need to find a Merc 60 for it if anyone knows of one. Preferably the bigger one, 59CI. I think it's 1999 and up. Here's some pics of it before we de-rigged it.

paradise001.png
paradise002.png
paradise003.png
OKAY! So we're all entitled to dream!
paradise007.png

NICE!

That thing must scream with the 3.2 on it...LOL

I am in the middle of hanging my 3.2L off of my Playmate too. Wanna race!:rof:

Looks very similar to my Playmate with the exception of the accent lines on the bow. I like, and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Well, we started cutting on the floor due to a soft spot under the seat. After Eric cut some out, I noticed that the foam had some water in it. I decided to cut out about four ft of the floor and take all the foam out. I weighed the removed fom. It was 72 lbs. The wet wood was another 38.
100_1585.png
100_1586.png
After removing all that. It was decided to just go ahead and cut out everything all the way to the transom. Here, you'll see where one floatation foam box is removed. We'll take the rest out tommorrow. After galssing everything back in differently, the boat should weigh about 125lbs less.

100_1588.png

100_1587.png

Well, we've been working on this nonstop for the last week. I know, I'm putting waayyy too much time and money into this boat, but hey, it's gonna be cool! Everyone who see's how much reinforcment and glass that's going into this thinks it's way overkill! I figuer, at least that 280 that's on the stand won't go to waste! Here's some pics.

100_1610.png
Here, Eric is just finishing grinding out the last of the floor glass and floatation boxes.

100_1611.png
Here, I just tacked in the knees. I have them spaced 18" apart. They will be glassed to the transome, floor, and upper deck.

100_1612.png
Here you can see we glassed in a front bulkhead that sealed off the remaining foam we left in the floor. 33" behind that, is the 2nd bulkhead. In between, we tied in together with a 5" high x 1" thick divinicell stringer. Eveything is classed in with 2 layers of woven roving.

100_1614.png
Here you can see that the front floor section has been glassed in. We put a layer of glass on the bottom of the floor the day before. This way it can never rot from below. I also put epoxy between the center stringer and the floor and screwed it down before glassing in the floor from above. Behind the 2nd bulkhead, you can see a 3rd bulkhead with 2 sets of stringers tying them together. This will also be a storage compartment under the seat. All these supports will make the hull super ridgid. The 3rd bulkhead also has side bulkheads that are glassed up into the uper deck to get rid of the flex.
100_1613.png
Here, Eric is laying another layer of woven roving. The knees will have 3 layers of woven and 2 layers of mat tying it all together.

100_1615.png
You can see here that it's all tied together. I even epoxyed a panel of marine plywood to the underside of the rear well and glassed it to the knees. This all makes a completely boxed in transome support.
100_1617.png
Here's another view. More pics coming soon. I still need to glass in the flooring behind the seat for the battery and stuff.

This is fantastic Randy! You'll have the nicest F-13 out there! You might rather find a 90 Yamaha

I cut out the rear floor behind the seat. It will also tie the knees together more. This is the bottom. I put a layer of mat on the bottom to make sure it can't ever rot from the underside. That's how most floors rot out.

100_1618.png
100_1620.png

Here, the floor is all glassed in.
100_1619.png
While I was at it, I decided to tie the upper deck and hull together in back. I put 6 layers of mat and roving to tie them into a one piece transom.

100_1621.png
We put two layers of the woven roving behind the dash to make it stiffer. Here, Eric is glassing in a switch panel hole. The new switches will take a smaller hole.

Did more glassing today and made a pattern for the windshield. I'm gonna try to get it made out of green plexiglass.
100_1622.png

100_1623.png

100_1624.png

More pics from today. New divinicell seat supports are glassed in.
100_1625.png

100_1626.png

100_1627.png
area behind seat

100_1628.png
Rear transom is all tied together on the outside for additional strength

100_1630.png
Primed with epoxy filler

100_1629.png
Dash is ready to re-drill holes for guages and switch panel.

I really like the idea of the green plexi for the windshield.

Looks like the green plexi ain't gonna happen. I called a plastic place today and they want $85 an hour to cut the panels and they don't even sell the colored stuff. I started laying up a fiberglass one today.

There is a guy up here in NJ that is advertising on Craigslist for boat windshields

For all your plastic needs visit www.njplastics.com
We supply sheet, rod, tube,custom boat windshields, tabletops, window glazing.
We can make anything out of plastic!
Call Tom @ 973-362-0219

I could do a little re-con for you. I've been kicking a design around an idea for a couple flip up wind deflector that would mount over my Playmate's fairings and was thinging about reaching out to this guy anyway.

I know a few guys were also looking for replacment coolers / compartment boxes also

Well, I'm making the windshield from scratch. Here, I laid up 3 layers of mat, then a layer of heavy woven, then 3 more layers of mat. We laid them over a sheet of very smooth hardwood plywood. It was a good 1/4" thick.
100_1631.png
100_1632.png
Here, I peel the hardened 1/4" sheet of glass off the plywood. This will give me the material to cut the windshield panels from
100_1633.png
Here, I lay my plywood templates on the new fiberglass sheet so I can cut them out.
100_1634.png
Now I cut the panels out with a circular saw
100_1635.png
Panels are taped in place on the boat and trimmed to fit
100_1636.png
Next, I grind 2" on each side of the seams. I will lay up 3 layers of mat on the outside. After it hardens, I'll take it off the boat, flip it over, and glass the inside.

Looking good, Wman...but you are going to have 10K in that boat before it's "blinged" out!

Rock on brother-

I figuer I'll have all of that in it, but it's gonna be a cool little ride! Ya can't cut corners when ya wanna be COOL!!

Back