• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New From Charlotte NC

Just bought what looks to be a mint 1997 283 Convincor. Have owned quite a few boats and currently have an 04 Fastech. Convincor has a bad engine and is out of Chicago. I love my formula but I need more speed. I actually haven't seen it yet so I'm anxious. It has twin big blocks and we actually don't know what they are. Could have gotten lucky and maybe maybe they have merc racing products in them. If not they are standard 454 mag's. I'm ordering prochargers for them today as part of the rebuild, hoping for 90 mph :)

Does this happen to be the Keytime boat out of Lake of the Ozarks area you bought?

Oh yeah....:welcome:

Not sure....Has no name, it's solid black. I was going to start a post trying to see if anyone could give me some history on it. The engine's are a bit of an enigma. Shogren (who should know) is stating they are 454 mag's, that were swapped in at sometime. But why would someone go through the hassle of cloning a merc racing product? And if they did go through all of that why would they not have upgraded the internals to match the looks if disassembling anyways.

Here's the boat. http://www.teamshogren.com/inventory/product/1997-checkmate-28-convincer-174/?

got a GREAT price on it. I hope it looks as clean in person as in the pics, I'm rather retentive about condition. Also hoping for an engine suprise.

If I remember right, that boat was for sale at Pier 57 a year or two ago. Very Sharp boat!!! I thought they had it listed with either hp500's or 540 bulldogs before. But those look like 454 mags that have been painted blue to me. Looks like they have nice exhaust on them already, which is good. If they are 454 mags, they still have nice forged internals in them and should stand up to your ProChargers very well.

You are 100% correct, that is absolutely the boat that was at pier 57. I ran across that ad when I was googling for info before I bought it. I never payed attention to the description but now I'm going to see if I can go back and find it. Good looking out, thank you.

So I found some more info, it does look like they are 454 mags. Which are prerfectly fine for me. Those aren't stock 454 mag manifolds are they?

So I found some more info, it does look like they are 454 mags. Which are prerfectly fine for me. Those aren't stock 454 mag manifolds are they?

No, those are EMI or IMCO or something like them. Good exhaust, much better than stock. Its a good thing they are mag motors too, they will have forged internals. Can't wait to see what that thing will do with a couple of huffers bolted on to them!!!!

EDIT: Just looked at the pics a little closer and can see the risers have "mercruiser" etched into them. Those might be stock hp500 or 500EFI manifolds and risers, which are still great. A lot better than stock. I'd be interested to see what else is inside those motors. Somebody might have built some hp500 clones, I know a few people that have done that.

It's a sickness that never stops lol......

Anyone on here running 1100 or so horse on one of these? I'd think 90 mph is possible?

I'm going to get with Brett from B Blades for the props. Boat confirmed is showing up to my builder on wednesday.

It's a sickness that never stops lol......

Anyone on here running 1100 or so horse on one of these? I'd think 90 mph is possible?

I'm going to get with Brett from B Blades for the props. Boat confirmed is showing up to my builder on wednesday.

There are a couple of guys running 1500-1700hp in a 300 Convincor (same hull but has a notched transom) but they are single engine boats.

I guess I'm just hoping the hull will take it. Don't really like ever being the first to do something. I have googled the heck out of the model and not really found too much.

I'm interested to see how the cockpit/cabin space and build quality compares to my formula as well.

Been looking, still not really finding anything. Guess most are all singles. I did the single thing before. Last one was a 645cu in merlin block monster. One with huge power is just to finicky of a beast for me. I know the argument back and fourth but for me, I prefer twins.

Boat is arriving today, dropped off at builder. I'll ride the motorcycle with the Mrs to take a look tonight.

Are you boating on LKN or Wylie? I'm in Denver by the LKN dam if you get down that way.
Cheers-

Are you boating on LKN or Wylie? I'm in Denver by the LKN dam if you get down that way.
Cheers-

So I was relocated out here from CA and this is my second summer. I have not made it one single time to Norman and I know I need to. We are literally a 3 minute drive from Copperhead Island (if you know where that is) and it's so convenient. This weekend or next we will be headed to Lake Murray to check that out for the first time.

We WILL be doing Norman this year because I have some friends up there. Are there any events (fun runs or whatever) that I should plan on a specific weekend?

I guess I'll just keep this thread going. Saw the boat, great condition. Surpassed my expectations. Cabin is clean, windshield trim is clean, carpets in the cockpit, vinyl, everything is in great shape for a boat of this age. Boat was definitely painted from the bottom stripe down, you can see a little orange peel but it does not detract from the condition one bit (maybe got a little faded?).

Engines, not so much. One is not just making sound, sounds like it's falling apart. The other engine a noise as well (lifter, not sure?). Carbs are automotive and not marine, not the biggest deal but given the source that was selling they knew. Rubber lines where there should not have been (not regulation for sure), they knew. One drive is also not picking up any water. I realize I got a good deal but they should have at least said something, no way they didn't know.

When done this I can't imagine this not being one of the cleanest 90's convincors out there. Intake is aftermarket and a dual plane offering in aluminum. We will tear down a motor tomorrow and see what is inside, we will see exactly what is in there.

The plan as it stands this evening.
-Prochargers M1 or M3, 12 rib 6 psi
-MSD ignition and distributor to replace the merc stuff
More than that we don't know until we tear in tomorrow.
-Carbs, 800cfm holley?

I'll post up as I know more.

Yeah. The either knew, or they were too dumb not to know. Either way, it says something about the previous owner(s). You'll get it all sorted.

I like carbs. But I really like my EFI Yamaha outboard too. After a week sitting on the boat lift it starts with a brief turn of the key. Unlike my Checkmate with the carb'd 454, that requires a bit of throttle pumping while cranking to get going.

Can't comment about the MSD stuff. Don't know if it's got a good or bad reputation in marine applications.

What are your plans for the internals? Forged everything? Going with different heads or re-working the old ones?

That boat had a nice set up. I think they threw in what was laying around so they could lower the price and get it sold. A lot of guys are more comfortable thinking the boat has "normal motors" and will buy faster then performance motors. Still a very nice boat just lacking the power now.

Back