• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Repowering 253 Convincor

Nick616

Well it turns out my "Tired 502" ( another thread on this forum ) was actually a frankensteined 454 block :pissed: with a 502mag sticker on the intake . . .

Given all the other issues with the motor and other mis-matched / obsolete /unknown parts its time for all new power.

I'm looking at a Certified Pre-Owned 8.2 MAG ( 380Hp ) or MAG HO ( 430 Hp )

Leaning towards the HO - if I'm going to drop 15k into an engine might as well spend another $2500 for the extra 50 HP.

I'm primarily a pleasure boater that likes to go fast - I just want a solid engine that I don't have to mess with / worry about.

Any other suggestions / advice / problems to watch for?

What about the ZZ502 or 572 from GM or Blueprint motors out of Summit? Probably need marinized but probably around same price point bang for the buck...

What about the ZZ502 or 572 from GM or Blueprint motors out of Summit? Probably need marinized but probably around same price point bang for the buck...

I don't want to deal with Marinizing the engines - plus if/when I sell the boat would prefer to have a "stock" Mercruiser engine.

I run the new style mercruiser 8.2 and haven't had any issues. Whipple offers a pcm tune for about $900 that will met you some serious gains.

There are some reputable guys dealing in refreshed Mercury power as well. I have seen them selling fresh hp500's for less than $10,000 and 500EFI's for less than $15,000. Those would bolt right in, you wouldn't have to upgrade your drive and nothing increases the value of a boat more than having a Merc Racing blue motor under the hatch. I'd just hate to see somebody spend $15,000 on their boat and only get 435hp.

Another route you could go would be to call someplace like Kunkels Marine. They aren't to far from you and they usually have some nice take outs for sale. Not sure if they still have it, but at one time they were selling a Procharged 496HO with like 30 hours on it for something like $9000. They are a very trustworthy company too, just ask around on here and you will see that they have an impeccable reputation.

Just throwing some other options out there for ya. I hate to see people spend more than they have to.

There are some reputable guys dealing in refreshed Mercury power as well. I have seen them selling fresh hp500's for less than $10,000 and 500EFI's for less than $15,000. Those would bolt right in, you wouldn't have to upgrade your drive and nothing increases the value of a boat more than having a Merc Racing blue motor under the hatch. I'd just hate to see somebody spend $15,000 on their boat and only get 435hp.

Another route you could go would be to call someplace like Kunkels Marine. They aren't to far from you and they usually have some nice take outs for sale. Not sure if they still have it, but at one time they were selling a Procharged 496HO with like 30 hours on it for something like $9000. They are a very trustworthy company too, just ask around on here and you will see that they have an impeccable reputation.

Just throwing some other options out there for ya. I hate to see people spend more than they have to.

I cannot say enough good things about Kunkel Marine and especially Jason Kunkel. If they have an engine available you can count on it.

Jason Kunkel was great to work with. If you spend some time looking there are good deals out there. I bought a low hour 600sc for 7k. He wanted 9 originally but settled for 7k. A guy named Mike Mello always has several used engines on hand over on Checkmate boat owners facebook page.

Thank You

Thank you all for the great advice. Ended up going with the 430Hp CPO 8.2L - a little more than I really wanted to spend, but after going through the whole chasing gremlins for a summer and missing many of the few great days on the lake I think it will be worth it - peace of mind is worth it to me at this point.

Hopefully all I will need to do once it's installed is get the proper prop - I'm sure the 21P won't be big enough :)

I will post pics / updates as available.

( Anyone interested in what appears to be mostly a 454 HO MPI engine in pieces with a 502 Intake manifold sticker . . . . )

Congrats, get a hold of me if you have any questions about the stage 2 pcm tune by Whipple. I had the 8.2 mag which was 380hp stock and gained around 85hp off the tune. Went from 68mph to 78mph.

Congrats, get a hold of me if you have any questions about the stage 2 pcm tune by Whipple. I had the 8.2 mag which was 380hp stock and gained around 85hp off the tune. Went from 68mph to 78mph.

Does the Stage 2 tune require premium gas? Any other issues / concerns with the tune?

It would have to wait until next year when the 1 year warranty expires.

CPO 8.2 HO

It's here! :banana:

KPhxB-OCEGX7prQD8SiNc5vt-cz6IkamYY_GpL30yeMj9qXHi-UgI8wvfOoidHoPlifEEwp_OgOZywgAe8EaBEWXMd_QpCuOTWJatYx3JZplYCtqUuilZgIonX1Wamc3IWRBLTU_m9o8VVHVRqFi7BkANXPqlIWcAoabWDmWtDMGF6Rdn2CnxFMc-C_ISkA9ucxC0QLnI19hzFffl-4C3xPV50L8149lZFWoQPW_0umvPoJuYM-LlcyucsZXoHGTbHEmw4AA6xlxx0TJqP2iPDL3yI44Mm0JBn-JHOty79_RuZxYp0ytlSFKzOL2RFlOrHrqK3RbN7y0OXbJESNgVxb0ye6wbdUIf42RpRYgz5VdbZfOwcRenAY0YzICrNFv_p6vdtVR1Eaj-N5PCnivB52UOEwcXFU7CUSvodfENLtB56TcD-ELWgG7jpEjlDyHOUe3dWms0f1r85wqDOZUjQtqg5COAXcrhKCq-Wjy76Hp6zchIJEEoz3xdu9y-5BaHdJAuwMbX_-V2vFXRzFW57zzttbeih80-UPsCWnQTyt_fJ3V-k4fOYMjBuUjrZESOGF1TftU11G03p98CfPkWKicf5--b9flbFf5UKR5ghSOQTUP=w2147-h1610-s800

Just need to get it out of the crate and into the boat!
And a tolerably cold day to test run ;-)

Did the picture turn out ok?

I'm playing with links direct to google photos - I have a strong dislike for photobucket. . .

Its sized for 800 pixels - looks good on my laptop, but its a 3200 x 1800 display - so the pic may be a little large for some?

Back