• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Repowering 253 Convincor

Try Linking to Dropbox

You have to change the ?dl=0 at the end of the link to ?raw=1 for the link to work. I had to resize it in dropbox as well or it was HUGE.

IMG_20170331_125705044.jpg

Getting Close

Engine is in:

IMG_20170412_095052323.jpg

Need to adapt from new exhaust outlet to thru hull.

IMG_20170412_095056315.jpg

Any good ideas to drop 6" in about 8"? Mechanic has a Mercruiser S-tube coming in today - don't know if that will do the job or not . . .

Glad to hear! Can't wait for the results! Looks like they did a pretty clean rigging job for the new wiring.

Got out for a nice ride from Holland to Grand Haven - amazingly not too cold ;)
Lake was flat.

No good performance numbers yet, got 57 GPS, but the boat was a little full . .. .

Approval from my daughter and 4 German exchange students we took for a ride:

Thumbs%20Up.jpg

Holland Channel:

Holland%20Channel.jpg

Grand Haven Channel:
Managed to pull right up to board walk and the girls got off to get Pronto Pups!

Grand%20Haven%20Channel.jpg

Not the same without the catwalk!😿 Good Luck with it!

Yeah - really looks different. Pier is not planned to be rebuilt until late this summer before they can even start putting the catwalk back.

Hopefully no one will run their boat onto the pier expecting the lights from the catwalk . . .

If you don't mind sharing the costs for the install (engine/rigging/etc), and who did it, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want to post the numbers in an open forum, send me a PM. I know all about 'cost overruns'. I did a complete resto-mod on a 76 CJ5...

An engine upgrade is something that my 95 Persuarder 219 might have in it's future. And I'd like to go MPI.

If you don't mind sharing the costs for the install (engine/rigging/etc), and who did it, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want to post the numbers in an open forum, send me a PM. I know all about 'cost overruns'. I did a complete resto-mod on a 76 CJ5...

An engine upgrade is something that my 95 Persuarder 219 might have in it's future. And I'd like to go MPI.

I will probably do a little of both once I get the final numbers . . I'm hoping its reasonably close to the estimate, but I did add a Smart Craft Tach ( which I'm liking ) and I know they had more time than expected getting all the wiring re-done.

"Final" Cost

Work was done by Advantage Marine in Zeeland MI - great to work with and did a nice job.

Ended up around $20,000 including:
CPO 8.2L HO ( 430 hp ).
New smartcraft tach ( best $300 spent ) shows fuel consumption in gal/hr which I sometimes don't want to know . . . will also display any alarms / warnings so you don't have to guess when the system beeps at you.
Digital to Analog converter to hook up all analog gauges to Smartcraft system.
New - S-pipe for exhaust
Bunches of connectors / cables / junction boxes.

They did bill me quite a bit less on labor than they actually had - but I think a lot of their time was spent figuring out how to wire / hook up the smartcraft - so it should go a lot faster for them the next time.

Initial Impressions

So I haven't really had the time ( and mostly appropriate weather ) to get much time on the new motor.

Right now running the hydromotive 23P prop that came with the boat. Top GPS speed has been 57-58 mph at 4800 ish rpm with 3 people. Haven't had a chance to dial in trim. . .

I'm not overly impressed with the hydromotive prop. Maybe I need to get used to it - coming up on plane it feels like its ready to blow out just as the boat levels out on plane - rpm's rapidly increase and I need to throttle back pretty hard.

I did blow it out making a harder than normal turn at a relatively slow speed - really did not expect that, drive was down all the way.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate soon and I can get a better feel for the prop.

That prop likes trim as it really doesn't have much cupping, Usually looking at the gauge it liked to have the needle straight up or a little past. Somewhere between 50-75% on gauge anyways. I never blew that prop out with the big motor but I eased it out of the hole as well, and that was even the prop I used, albeit at 6300 rpm haha. That many extra rpm completely changes how a prop acted, probably caused it to make much more lift. Start trimming until a bit at a time as you get a feel for how the boat reacts.

If you are at 4800 rpm without even trimming then I am going to venture that prop will end up being small. With the stock 502 MPI that boat had a Bravo I 24p prop and ran 67 MPH GPS no matter the load for reference but never really got on the pad or truly aired out. The old Mach Sterndriver round ear props were also a decent all-around prop on that hull I found.

The 4800 was trimmed fairly high - even then the boat never got loose - I just need some running time to get a better feel for this prop before I do anything else. I will probably put the 21" on I had last season just for reference, I'm sure that will be too small.

Back