• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Resto/Custom/Encapsulated Enticer

Yes, band aid over a bullet wound. Your rubber washers are simply hiding the warning signs that the steering system you are using is not capable of what you are asking of it.

Why do you say I am a naysayer? I saw something that is widely accepted as dangerous and was trying to warn you about it, that's all.

I never even came close to insinuating anything about your intelligence. I simply stated that driving a single cable steering system at the speeds you are going is using it well beyond its designed speeds (usually 50mph) and beyond the torque loads it was made for and that is dangerous. You could be the Mario Andretti of boat pilots and it wouldn't do you a damn bit of good when the single cable finally gets fatigued and lets go leaving you (an experienced pilot) with no steering, thrown into an instant full lock turn, likely ejecting you and your passengers, possibly injuring or killing you and them on the way out, and possibly allowing your vessel to smash into someone else.

I was just offering a bit of advice for your own safety and the safety of those around you, don't get offended by it. If you don't believe me start a thread on Scream and Fly or Bass Boat Central asking if its safe and see the responses you get. To be honest I'm a bit surprised I'm the only one who mentioned this here.

Good Luck and Be Safe!

John

Don't take John's criticisms as offensive. He is not trying to insult you only to inform you. He is right that the speeds your boat is capable of the single cable steering is considered unsafe and should be upgraded. After all the time and $$$ you've invested to build a badazz boat dual cable is a small upgrade. Check around for a better price than what you were told, you will probably find a better deal. That upgrade could save you a lot of poss damage/injury in the future. Congrats on building a beautiful boat I love the way it turned out.

I have also been running performance boats all of my life and the family business has been owning and running marinas since the late 60's. I must say that what John is saying about single cable steering is correct. The reason to go to duel cable or hydro has nothing to do with steering torque (tho it does help a lot) but has everything to do the the safety of the boat... coming from a guy who has been ejected at speeds over 70mph it is well worth the money to be safe on the water!

FOR SALE

Boat is for trade or sell... I've gotten into spearfishing and I'm looking for a 25+ft ocean going dive boat....

Hey I jus recently got my hands on the exact same boat do u have pics or info on how u did the floor and the back seat. Measurements n stuff any help would be greatly appreciated your boat looks awesome man great job on it.

Back