• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

" For Sale" (SOLD)1988 Checkmate Starliner (Knarloids)

congrats on the buy, I had an 88 Liner with an 88 Evinrude 225, and it ran good, in the mid sixties, but then I put on the 07 250 ProXs and it was a completely different boat. I never really tried for the absolute top speed, just the top speed with the props I had and got it to 77 MPH.

Anyway
Enjoy

congrats on the buy, I had an 88 Liner with an 88 Evinrude 225, and it ran good, in the mid sixties, but then I put on the 07 250 ProXs and it was a completely different boat. I never really tried for the absolute top speed, just the top speed with the props I had and got it to 77 MPH.

Anyway
Enjoy

Did you run any set back on it? If I did the motor swap I was not going to put a jack plate on it.

Put a 6 inch jack on it. Some guys are going to tell you you need at least 10 but mine airs put just fine with 6 inches and my old 250 EFI on it. What part of NJ are you in? Congrats by the way, you got a beautiful boat.

I agree 6" set back is enough, Had a starflite for 20 yrs (same hull) first 3 or 4 yrs only had the 5.5 cmc hyro jackplate. Using the jackplate you could feel the boat free up and pick up the speed. And thing still pulled like a tractor. Put another 10 inches in between and it killed the the pulling power, had to have the jackplate sky high in the sweet spot to allow it to spool up when I was getting up on a salom ski, once I was up none of my drivers knew or remembered to lower the jack back down some :shakehead: I really didn't pick up all that much speed vs the extra stress on the transom. But the extra leverage allow me to carry 3 guys and coolers to 70 mph. And it did look cool with my merc 2.5 245 hp hanging in the next zip code. Stick with 6 ''

Central jersey shore

Put a 6 inch jack on it. Some guys are going to tell you you need at least 10 but mine airs put just fine with 6 inches and my old 250 EFI on it. What part of NJ are you in? Congrats by the way, you got a beautiful boat.
Boat will be used on the Manasquan River and Barnegat bay, I live in Wall Twp. or as we say in Jersey Exit 98 on the parkway. Looking at some motor options, going to be a long winter.

Boat will be used on the Manasquan River and Barnegat bay, I live in Wall Twp. or as we say in Jersey Exit 98 on the parkway. Looking at some motor options, going to be a long winter.
282, When the warmer weather starts hitting, stay in touch on the forum because several of us, including your boats previous owner, get together on the Delaware or the Jersey shore side for some fun times.:bigthumb:

I had one and it definitely ran the fastest with a lot of setback (13-1/2 inches). but handled better using a 5-1/2 hydraulic plate. Also the transoms on those are not designed the same as the Pulsare's so the extreme set back made me nervous.

No doubt it will be faster but IMO it's not enough to justify the hit you take as far as usability in other areas. Ckaluger's with a 250XS ran 2mph faster than mine with a 250 EFI did. I ran that with the same 24 Trophy I use to haul 4 adults 3 or 4 kids, a 70lb dog, a grill, and a days worth of food and drinks to the local hangout spot and it planes off with no problems with all that weight. I'm sure his wasn't tweaked to the max for top end either.

Thanks

Will try to make some of the runs you guys plan. I did get on here a cmc jack plate and it has a spacer so I can try 5.5 or 10 inch set back. I will post my results when I finally get to run it.

Wet sand? That boat was pretty clean that I recall. might want to just give it a buff to start. I like the extra hp on her thou.

Wet sand?

Just a few small spots and a good buffing, boat pretty mint when i got it.

Hi there! I think I talked to you before. Engine is still good, it gets a lot of attention with that motor on the Mullica. Folks love it's a bowrider. It has a few chips in the hull, 2 underneath and one on the passenger side toward the front near the rail, the guy I got it from, he got it for his college age son, young kids used it for 2 years, the checkmate words on the side have a scrape or 2. Interior still great. I added bright blue tape accents above and below the bumper rail that match the words on the side. Still working on how to pull a skier/tube and get a good telescoping ladder. It gets on plane really fast, only had it to 45mph myself, but on the test drive my brother got it to 65 with 3 aboard. I did get bigger cleats, going to add a set in front of the windshield on each side. It looks better in those older pics, but the motor change was a big one. Still thrilled after one year. (y)

Back