• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Starliner Pre-Season Polish - Input Appreciated

atc250r

While their are almost no scrapes or scratches in the boat and the gel on the sides from the rub rail down is perfect, the top is moderately oxidized. I'm kind of surprised how bad it is for a boat that has been stored indoors all of its life as far as I can tell. I keep it in one of those instant garages as did the previous owner and the owner prior to that kept it in a pole barn. In any case, seeing how nice the red came up on ckaluger's Liner inspired me to get the gel on mine looking good. I am waiting for the new top for the "garage" to arrive so its still wrapped in its winter cover so I figured I'd remove the cooler covers and make them the guinea pig for the rest of the boat:

2012-04-03_17-57-12_867.jpg

2012-04-03_17-57-25_357.jpg

2012-04-03_17-57-40_647.jpg

Lighting in the basement isn't the greatest and using the camera on my phone doesn't help matters but you get the idea. The one on the left is untouched since I went over it with 3M Color Restorer and a coat of wax back in September. FWIW that didn't put a dent in the oxidation. The one on the right was wet sanded with 1000 followed by 1200 then hit with 3M Marine Compound and Meguiar's marine wax. This was just a test to see what works. I think I need to start with 800 wet, then 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000. I think the 3M compound might be too harsh as its leaving more swirl marks than I'd consider acceptable and the wet sand didn't get quite deep enough as in person you can see a little of the haze from the oxidation. Not much but I think it could be better. All of this was with whatever the "shaggy" bonnet is that was on the Milwaukee buffer when I borrowed it for the compound and a terry cloth bonnet on my cheap little 5" Sears buffer for the wax.

I'm thinking a foam pad for the compound (possibly going to use a lighter compound), apply the wax by hand with a sponge, and then remove it with a wool bonnet on the big buffer. I'll have to kick my little Sears one to the curb for this job since I have the good one here.

Any suggestions as far as buffer speeds and pad materials would be great. The buffer I'm using has 5 positions on the knob and a top speed of 2800 rpms.

I'm planning on stripping the boat of the windshield, cleats, lights, bow cover snaps, and bow rails this Saturday to make it ready for wet sanding and buffing.

John

I agree with CMP... wool for the compound and foam for the polish. The polish is a must after the compound. In addition to these two, a good cleaning is a must, something to remove all of the old wax etc. before you sand and buff it into the gel coat. I used mary kate on & off. Here is a link to me thread on this... I give model numbers for the 3M pads

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23026

While their are almost no scrapes or scratches in the boat and the gel on the sides from the rub rail down is perfect, the top is moderately oxidized. I'm kind of surprised how bad it is for a boat that has been stored indoors all of its life as far as I can tell. I keep it in one of those instant garages as did the previous owner and the owner prior to that kept it in a pole barn. In any case, seeing how nice the red came up on ckaluger's Liner inspired me to get the gel on mine looking good. I am waiting for the new top for the "garage" to arrive so its still wrapped in its winter cover so I figured I'd remove the cooler covers and make them the guinea pig for the rest of the boat:

2012-04-03_17-57-12_867.jpg

2012-04-03_17-57-25_357.jpg

2012-04-03_17-57-40_647.jpg

Lighting in the basement isn't the greatest and using the camera on my phone doesn't help matters but you get the idea. The one on the left is untouched since I went over it with 3M Color Restorer and a coat of wax back in September. FWIW that didn't put a dent in the oxidation. The one on the right was wet sanded with 1000 followed by 1200 then hit with 3M Marine Compound and Meguiar's marine wax. This was just a test to see what works. I think I need to start with 800 wet, then 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000. I think the 3M compound might be too harsh as its leaving more swirl marks than I'd consider acceptable and the wet sand didn't get quite deep enough as in person you can see a little of the haze from the oxidation. Not much but I think it could be better. All of this was with whatever the "shaggy" bonnet is that was on the Milwaukee buffer when I borrowed it for the compound and a terry cloth bonnet on my cheap little 5" Sears buffer for the wax.

I'm thinking a foam pad for the compound (possibly going to use a lighter compound), apply the wax by hand with a sponge, and then remove it with a wool bonnet on the big buffer. I'll have to kick my little Sears one to the curb for this job since I have the good one here.

Any suggestions as far as buffer speeds and pad materials would be great. The buffer I'm using has 5 positions on the knob and a top speed of 2800 rpms.

I'm planning on stripping the boat of the windshield, cleats, lights, bow cover snaps, and bow rails this Saturday to make it ready for wet sanding and buffing.

John

Now the fun starts John. Can't wait to see the finished product.. I'm doing the same, But I need a body shop to DA the clear off that the previous owner sprayed on it. Then I'm wet sanding and buffing. Let me know how u make out.
Don

Thanks! It looks like the local VatoZone sells the premium Meguiars stuff now so I'll just have to round up the Finesse it. Do I need to get the marine specific one or is the standard kind acceptable if that's all I can find locally?

John

Thanks! It looks like the local VatoZone sells the premium Meguiars stuff now so I'll just have to round up the Finesse it. Do I need to get the marine specific one or is the standard kind acceptable if that's all I can find locally?

John

I never used Finesse, I prefer the Presta products for the final stage. Here is a quick copy and paste from my thread on what I did. I don't want to Hijack your thread with any before and after pics of mine.

"I did some sample patches to see what was going to be needed to remove the oxidation. It turned out I needed to used the 600, 1000 and 1500 before I buffed it.
The first run with the buffer was with 3M Heavy Duty rubbing compound and I applied it with 3M 05711 compounding pad. After the Compound I polished it with Presta Ultra Cutting Creme and a 3M 05725 polishing pad. Once I finished the sanding, buffing and polishing I waxed it with Collinite Fleetwood Wax #885."

I ran the compound around 1800-2000rpm and the polish 2000-2200 rpms. Don't sit in one spot for even a second or you will burn the gel.

Thanks. I found that in your thread and was shopping online for the stuff. The pads aren't so bad but the backing system can get pricey quick. Here's what I'm figuring I'll need to get to get this up and running with the buffer I have here since he does not have a 3M system backing disc on it:

05717 - Backup pad (attaches to buffer shaft and allows the next two pads to "velcro" on)
05711 - 9" compounding pad
05725 - 8" foam polishing pad

I don't mind spending the money on the stuff as long as its going to work. Here's what I have in the cleaning bucket as far as stuff for this job:

3M Marine Rubbing Compound - 09004
3M Marine Color/Gloss Restorer - 09089
Meguiars Flagship Marine Wax

When I searched for Mary Kate On and Off I'm coming up with the hull cleaner as in acid you use to clean the algae off if you leave your boat in the water. Is that the stuff you're suggesting I wipe the entire thing down with before I start? That doesn't sound right to me.

John

The On & Off is what was suggested to me by a guy I know that details boats at a marina. He does Multi Million dollars boats, so I took his word for it. He said you could also use a fiberglass cleaner/prep, but said bang for the buck On & Off works better.

He gave me all of the specifics on what to use, rpms etc...

I bought most of what I have off Ebay, and found some good deals with free shipping. I'm a huge fan of the Collinite #885. It is some heavy duty sh*t!

A couple other things... Hold on tight, wear a mask and goggles and don't hit any loose objects because the become projectiles very quickly!!! Trust me I know. I thought I'm a big strong guy it won't get away from me. I hit an edge and it pulled me a few inches grabbed the compound bottle and smashed me in the face with it. hahaha it happens!

John, cut it out! You're gonna make all the other Starliners in Jersey look bad. Now go to sleep!

Don't worry sim, mine's in NY so you still have the nicest in NJ. I'll settle for nicest in NY. :) I'm gonna walk the dogs and go to bed now.

Yes the mary kate is what you want, the stuff is acid based and will take your breath away but it WORKS. I buy gallons of it, its the only thing that will cut the scum line off when i run threw alge.Wear gloves sponge or spray on and rinse, you'll see the junk run off in front of your eyes. Speaking of eyes, safty glasses aren't a bad idea.

Thanks Keith. I've used that sort of stuff before on my old boat since I used to leave it in the water for the whole season. My concern is damage it might cause to the interior since I'll be using it from the rub rail up. Maybe wipe it on with a rag and then wipe off with a wet rag before rinsing carefully with the hose?

Yes wipe it on where it could over spray inside. Then rinse down. The water will neutralize it. Make sure to rinse the trailer, it will eat on it if large amounts are left sitting on the metal.. Its not going to melt away but rinsing is good lol

You can search it on utube and theres videos of it removeing rust and all types of crap from boats Best is it won't hurt fiberglass no matter how long left on.

Thanks Keith. I've used that sort of stuff before on my old boat since I used to leave it in the water for the whole season. My concern is damage it might cause to the interior since I'll be using it from the rub rail up. Maybe wipe it on with a rag and then wipe off with a wet rag before rinsing carefully with the hose?
Are you still up? Don't I hear your mother calling?
And I'd better not see you crossing over that NJ/NY border on the lake.

Sorry dad! :)
No worries. I just put Adam to bed way past his bedtime too. Hopefully you'll get to meet him this summer. He's gonna be the one that wants a ride in the shiny boat. He loves "shiny".
You're making us all look bad John.

atc250r, the front deck was sanded 1000, 2000, then buffed with a twisted wool pad using Presta Super Cut Compound and then using the foam pad polished with Presta Gel Coat Compound, and waxed with Collinite's boat wax.IMG_0135.png

Well I typed up a nice long post but the board decided to not post it.

Since I already have those two 3M products and the Meguiar's products and I know I can get them relatively easily locally I'm going to try to stick with them. I'm not saying any of the other products are not as good as or better, just not as readily available locally. That being said here is my plan which is going to be tried on the other cover first:

Wet sand 800, 1000, 1500, 2000.
3M Compound with twisted wool bonnet
3M Color Restorer with another wool bonnet
3M Finesse It II with foam pad
Meguiar's Boat Wax on by hand and off with random orbital and terry cloth bonnet.

Question for CM, is it regular Finesse you're using or the marine specific one?

John

Well I typed up a nice long post but the board decided to not post it.

Since I already have those two 3M products and the Meguiar's products and I know I can get them relatively easily locally I'm going to try to stick with them. I'm not saying any of the other products are not as good as or better, just not as readily available locally. That being said here is my plan which is going to be tried on the other cover first:

Wet sand 800, 1000, 1500, 2000.
3M Compound with twisted wool bonnet
3M Color Restorer with another wool bonnet
3M Finesse It II with foam pad
Meguiar's Boat Wax on by hand and off with random orbital and terry cloth bonnet.

Question for CM, is it regular Finesse you're using or the marine specific one?

John

I use 3M products since they're readily available locally. I try to support the local merchants. I use the marine version, but would assume you can use the auto one as well.

3M Marine Finesse-It II Finishing Material (also called Glaze) is used to remove micro-fine sanding scratches or compound swirl marks from topside paints. It also removes light to medium gelcoat oxidation. Finesee it II leaves behind a glazed finish. Follow up with a polish for a deep gloss appearance. It works well on UV faded or otherwise neglected gelcoat.

625-2.jpg

Again, thank you for the input. Your initial reply said No 7 then Finesse It, so am I doing 3 steps actually before applying wax? No 7, Finesse, Polish, Wax? If so what do you suggest for polish?

Back