• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Starliner Pre-Season Polish - Input Appreciated

Would you call that skin tone ginger?
Boats coming right along, can't wait to see the rest buffed out.
The buffing pads are pretty pricey for what they are!

You ain't kidding. The twisted wool one wasn't such a shock at $20 but the 2 pack of foam ones at over $40 caught me way off guard since online they are under $30. The best part was the $10 for 4 sheets of 1200 grit. I ended up not needing the paper and at that price I'm returning that shizz. I'm all for giving the small, local guy my business but when he's gonna jam it in me deep then f him.

John

You ain't kidding. The twisted wool one wasn't such a shock at $20 but the 2 pack of foam ones at over $40 caught me way off guard since online they are under $30. The best part was the $10 for 4 sheets of 1200 grit. I ended up not needing the paper and at that price I'm returning that shizz. I'm all for giving the small, local guy my business but when he's gonna jam it in me deep then f him.

John

I saw the price of what everything was locally, so I went on ebay and got everything for a lot less. this is the sand paper I got - 30 sheets for $10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandpaper-W..._Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item58925e18fa

John, your boat is going to look great! I'm still going to use your paint scheme as a starting point. Trying to imagine what it would all look like in metal flake.

AND, your OT policy sounds pretty legit! Flexible and fair.

Thanks Sam. I work for the NYC subways but technically I'm a state worker. Its in everyone's best interest since we get flexibility and the subway can save money.

Put 3 hours in with the wheel compounding tonight and the boat looks pretty good. I think I could have gone deeper with the sandingin some spots and maybe even started with 600 in those spots but it looks much better and I still have several steps to go. If the weather cooperates I will do the light compound tomorrow and maybe the glaze as well. Took a pic tonight but it was dark and it came out worthless. I'll snap one tomorrow before I start.

John

Put nearly 10 hours in today, its finished as far as buffing, and it looks great. There's still a few spots I could have gone deeper with the sanding but this was a learning process and it came out great all things considered. I started getting the interior cleaned up and back in and vacuuming the dust and wheel lint off of the carpet, what a f'ing mess. Gotta get the tint for the windows so I can put the windshield back on and polish up the bow rails so I can reinstall them. Pics coming shortly.

This is this morning before I started but after the first compounding last night. The pic doesn't really show it but there is a huge improvement from this picture to the final product:

2012-04-15_10-14-25_969.jpg

After "light" compound:

2012-04-15_10-13-29_514.jpg

Final product:

2012-04-15_15-14-11_251.jpg

2012-04-15_15-13-46_932.jpg

Still some residue in that last picture, gave it a good wipe down after that. The next time its out of the car port I'll snap some pics of the whole thing. Hopefully I'll have the windshield tinted and back on this week.

John

John the gelcoat turned out great!! :thumb:That's alot of work just to get the shine back. My arms and hands hurt for days after I sanded and buffed mine out.:shakehead:

Looks awesome John, job well done and well worth the effort:bigthumb:

Did you happen to finish removing your bow light with the buffer? I couldn't help but notice to two wires just sticking up after it was there in the other pic:poke::D

Yup. Made it through the heavy compound unscathed but the new wheel with the light stuff caught it. :) Gonna re-solder it this week and put it back on.

John

I guess you know that if the color is in the water then you have gone through the clear gel. If the clear is completely oxidized you have no choice if you want to get the shine back. The down side is it oxidizes that much more quickly in the sun.
My understanding is only "flake" has clear gel over it. Solid colors do not. I could be off on that but I think that's what I heard while at checkmate :confused:

Nope. Didn't even spill my beer. Hurt my pride a little though.
Hold my beer, watch this....... :D

John, looks awesome! I didn't chime in earlier as you already had good advice :thumb:

Thanks Brian. Fixed the light yesterday. Just had to crimp a new ground on and solder a new wire onto the spring the bulb rests on, no biggie. If I end up opening the wall to the bow at some point I'll put in a pop up light and cleat. I was eyeing them up yesterday and then realized I couldn't really do it without getting to the underside.

John

So close to being done I can taste it.

The starboard side is done:

2012-04-17_19-01-05_16.jpg

The port side is not:

2012-04-17_19-00-45_654.jpg

The lighting was different from side to side, the red didn't change color that much, it looked like the "after" picture all along but the black stripe was neither black nor shiny anymore. Planning on knocking out the port side tomorrow and then the engine cover and I should be done and I should also be just about out of both the compounds I have. I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of the light compound tomorrow just to be on the safe side. I really don't need the heavy stuff for the sides.

John

My camera does the same thing with red. I just posted another picture in enforcer on the water thread wicked looking!! Boat is looking good!!! I love red boats!!:thumb:

I'm not a "red" guy but it seems to seek me out. My first car happened to be red, I had two other cars and a Wrangler, all red. My pickup is red and not because I wanted red, it was an extended cab that was the right year, mileage, engine, and trans. The Jeep was the same. The Liner kind of was the same thing, its not like I had my choice of a dozen of them, this one came up, was in great shape, had a freshly rebuilt engine, and was relatively close. I have to admit, the red/white/black combo is probably the best non-flake color combo IMHO.

When it comes out of the car port I'll have the wife take some pics with her good camera, all the ones I've posted are from my cell phone.

John

Back