• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Another 2800SX Resto

Boy that transom is a holy roller. Looks like we can play connect 4 in that thing. I think you have me beat in the Swiss cheese department. I'm loving all that fancy new hardware and can't wait to see it.

Spencer, based upon the pictures, before running your new setup I would tap and plug the top 3-4 holes on the sides of your gear cases with allen plugs so they don't suck air. If you lose enough water pressure the Verados should go into limp mode. Even though the Verado gear cases have low water pickups on the front of the nose cone you could still suck enough air with higher than normal motor heights to destroy a powerhead... The last thing you want is a blown Verado powerhead!!

A quick update before I set off for the Chesapeake Bash tomorrow. The calibration was done and I was able to sneak in a test ride yesterday.

The boat ran perfect and fired up on the first flick of the key. The extra weight did not change the stance of the boat at all. I think it was sitting with the same water line as it did with the huge setback and 2.4's. After I confirmed she was going to float, I motored out of the marina and through the no wake zone. I throttled up and she popped onto plane without hesitation. I started with a slow cruise at about 30-35 mph and she settled in and a had a subtle porpoise under 35 with the engines tucked and tabs at full up. I kept the tabs full up the whole time to see how she would perform. 35 MPH was about 3400 RPM. I ran her up to about 5500 RPM with minimal trim and was at or near 70 MPH. I had great water pressure the whole time and only stopped at that because the wind was howling at 20+ MPH and quartering the bow which made for (in my opinion) an unstable high speed pass. I am thinking I may get near 80 MPH with the props I have on it. I may raise the engines a little, but I should have plenty of time this weekend to get her dialed in!!

E56CB044-9FF4-45DD-AA99-35B9723B0392_zpsb6gt2xzv.jpg

6DD43C11-40BE-4FEC-8BC9-C1B0CBB9C48C_zpszzjbk3tk.jpg

2EF7A5CF-87F6-4293-ABA6-20AD4427B83F_zpsgxqcw5pa.jpg

8657481D-FC35-4C4B-B10E-5AB192DEA570_zpsntyux0bu.jpg

DA2A35E9-94A4-4E1D-9835-59A3AB3EAC57_zpsszmdk3qs.jpg

I didn't get to play as much as I hoped this weekend. Had one issue with the charging system, but we got it worked out over beers and under flashlights:cheers:

I ran a few props and liked the feel of the four blade 26p Bravos. Jumped on plane and was cruising the 55+ MPH range around 4500 RPMS. I did not do any high speed passes with these props but did see a max speed from a quick trip of 62 or 63.

I also tried a set of Hydromotive four blade 25 or 26p. I did not like them at all and made the boat almost uncontrollable. I saw a max speed of 69 but didn't push my luck since they made for a scary ride!

I put my 27p Merc Choppers back on and made a high speed run in good conditions and saw 76 mph at 61-6200. I think there is still a couple MPH to be had with these props - I could have trimmed up a little more and I had the tabs down a couple clicks.

All runs were made with 75+ gallons of gas on board, full gear and two or three guys on board. I am going to plug the top three or four holes and raise the engines an inch and go from there.:surf:

I didn't get to play as much as I hoped this weekend. Had one issue with the charging system, but we got it worked out over beers and under flashlights:cheers:

I ran a few props and liked the feel of the four blade 26p Bravos. Jumped on plane and was cruising the 55+ MPH range around 4500 RPMS. I did not do any high speed passes with these props but did see a max speed from a quick trip of 62 or 63.

I also tried a set of Hydromotive four blade 25 or 26p. I did not like them at all and made the boat almost uncontrollable. I saw a max speed of 69 but didn't push my luck since they made for a scary ride!

I put my 27p Merc Choppers back on and made a high speed run in good conditions and saw 76 mph at 61-6200. I think there is still a couple MPH to be had with these props - I could have trimmed up a little more and I had the tabs down a couple clicks.

All runs were made with 75+ gallons of gas on board, full gear and two or three guys on board. I am going to plug the top three or four holes and raise the engines an inch and go from there.:surf:

I think there's more in that setup. The Verado 300's max rpm is 6400 rpm. With some tweaking, props, etc. you could creep up on 80mph. I ran a best of 72mph gps with my stock 2.4's before I added the cabin back in. With the 2.5's and CLE's I've seen 66.55mph GPS. Looks like I'm going to have to step up my game..I might be rigging up a couple of 240hp Merc 3.0L's...

I think there's more in that setup. The Verado 300's max rpm is 6400 rpm. With some tweaking, props, etc. you could creep up on 80mph. I ran a best of 72mph gps with my stock 2.4's before I added the cabin back in. With the 2.5's and CLE's I've seen 66.55mph GPS. Looks like I'm going to have to step up my game..I might be rigging up a couple of 240hp Merc 3.0L's...

I know there is more in the setup I have. I am currently 5" below the bottom of the boat. Once I plug the holes and start to raise the engines, she will fly much better. That topped with the 75+ gallons of gas I had on board will make a difference. I do have 200lbs of sand in the bow to account for the added weight the finished cabin will add. I know I will get to 80 this season with a little more time behind the wheel but I will easily push past 80 when I add the new 1.62 sport master lowers over the winter...

Plugged the top four holes and raised the engines 1.5" I was out yesterday but only did one short top speed blast with the same chopper props. Hit 78 before I had to back out for a no wake zone. I had good water pressure so I will go up another 1"-1.5". I love this boat!!!:bigthumb:

Back