• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Old Checkmate Molds

boyd is awsome but he is a rod man he hs a nich also chip is more muscle car boyd is old school rods. both a truely legands boyd seems to be more business man now chip seems to be more hands on. of course age has alittle to do with it. Im finding out what that is like myself LOL But they both do thier own thing but all thier cars are hot and one offs. that is what makes them special. When i should my cars i would look at others and get some ideas and put my own twist on it.

last i heard from brian is he was looking at an eliminator...dont know what he did. he called me on a day i couldnt talk, i called him back but never heard from him again!!!

good luck coop. i am definately in the market for the open bow boat as soon as mines gone. just gotta pick the hull. i want to do something thats gonna ride nice. can we make one of the i/o boats into a outboard version! like the stilletto openbow with twins.....nah, just something with a single.

whats gonna happen for you with the merc issues up in FDL, will that affect you?
Eliminator??? I'm going to have to come out there and kick his but. I almost was out there last weekend, but they didn't give me the load.

Merc issues up in FDL?? What's that? Oh Fon Du Lac. Don't know.

Hi Coop sweet deal with the molds wish i had some in my back yard. Just my opinion I build trophy winning show cars, trucks etc as hobby and all my personal vehicles are not stock but have subtle changes that make them stand out in a crowd. Checkmate has done most of the work for you in building a legend. Make some changes but not drastic sometime even just a color scheme makes all the differance in the world. Ever see cars built by Chip Foose he takes an old muscle car and tweeks it some large rims lowers the stance some but it still looks like a camaro or chevell or mustang but little more modern looking and sexy has HIS touch allover it and his paint shemes are pretty simply two tones with his twist. I am going to the sema show in vegas in nov hoping to rub elbows with him and others. Would love to get into a build sometime see what we come up with. Wish I was closer.
My resume includes 1988 multi trophy wining monster toyota show truck. 67 camaro pro street, 1992 Trophy winning jeep. Custom 85 chevy stepside frame up restore (painted in 3stage pearl white)1989 wildly pimped out honda civic for nephew, pimped nissan for niece, 4x4 elcamino, restored 78 bronco, 1936 dodge pickup (sold before finished) In garage now is 1992 mitsu3000GT waiting to go RWD with Chevy small block tunnel ram pushing close to 650 -700 horse I am new to the speed boating but have loved checkmates for almost 20 yrs just finishing my MX-15 now hopefully another check this winter or hydrostream. But a custom build would be cool.
Maybe not on the first couple boats. But after that, I definatly would like to push a few toward the edge of what can be done. I've got a few mods I'd like to make to some of the molds. Some interior ideas. And a few one off ideas, that I've thought about. Along with metal flakes, fades, metallic gel coats, new flames, fire, dozens of different paint designs, from simple to wild. Even classic paint schemes with a modern twist.
I've even got a lot of hot rodding friends, so I can see some custom motors in the works. My dad had met Boyd, I think he even met Chip. I know he hangs out with Norm Grobowski when they all meet up, and the guy that chopped the top on a school bus, calling it Low Life High. I'm sure you've seen that thing. My dads been building cars for years, I think he wants to take a break from it after this next one. He's building a tow vehicle to tow his 63 Falcon to the race track.

Wow thats sweet about your dad. Wish I didn't live in maine nothing exciting happens here. Hoping to meet Chip at Sema wish i could a bunch of guys together to build a car to bring but no one wants to and with the economy the way it is people are holding onto thier money. The paint jobs now days are so cool there is a boat in town that has flames that look real, painted on it. I tried to get pic with phone but didn't come out. very cool paint job. My boat is painted with House of Kolor rainbow metalic pearl, over black. No jokes about the rainbow either guys Im a lesbian and proud of it. :drool::bigthumb:

That bus was my favorite thing their. I like different stuff and that bus was way cool. I seen this bus close to my g-maws ranch in Ok. The bus only had some surface rust and was soild as a rock. I studied that bus for 30 minutes tring to figure out how to get it back to NC 1350 miles without costing me a arm and leg.

And dont ask what that barrel did on the roof I dont have a clue.:sssh:

bus2.jpg

I like the bus wish i rode that one to school when i was a kid Fiance gave me the ok to build a Cobra. Her boss has been talking about building one and think he wants my help. Would be sweet to build 2 one for me and help him on his. One pulled into her office and lit them up when he left she thought it was so cool. How sweet it is. Last cool toy I had was a built 350 S-10 2 wheel drive truck talk about smoke shows!!!!!!!!! That thing would smoke em for hundreds of feet without even trying.
BUt yet driving 60 in my MX-15 scares the **** out of her?? dont understand. It is more fun by my self. :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I already know where I need to be, and can envision myself there. So all I have to do is put the pieces in place to get there.

Coop you have friends that will back you up, and try to lend a hand when life allows, you can count on that.. ( I have some ideas to share when I can visit next )

Coop, was the 27 footer the only size checkmate built a MCOB model? seems to me these would be pretty desirable. I know a lot of the west coast builders offer them and you see them all over havasu. I also know sunsation builds them too. how many did checkmate do and do you have any idea where the deck mold is for that? It would be nice to have an escape from the sun for the kiddies and a turdlette for the ladies without losing the open bow. just my two cents.

Coop you have friends that will back you up, and try to lend a hand when life allows, you can count on that.. ( I have some ideas to share when I can visit next )
Its good to have friends in this business, and I'm looking forward to your next visit, or for a time when I can visit you.

Coop, was the 27 footer the only size checkmate built a MCOB model? seems to me these would be pretty desirable. I know a lot of the west coast builders offer them and you see them all over havasu. I also know sunsation builds them too. how many did checkmate do and do you have any idea where the deck mold is for that? It would be nice to have an escape from the sun for the kiddies and a turdlette for the ladies without losing the open bow. just my two cents.
As far as I know, it is the only MidCabin Open Bow that Checkmate has done. It does open up some room, but takes some time to build. Lots of extra parts. The mold should be sitting in the back shop waiting for someone to order another one. Checkmate still builds the 270. I'd love to see them do a 300 with a Midcabin openbow.

This is waiting on me at the shop when I get home. Only 8 waxes to go and it will be ready. I would have had it waxed sprayed and layed up by now, but I had to go get a job and try to make some cash. And insurance!!! In about a month and a half, I'll have insurance!

Anyway, here is whats waiting on me.

l_dfc90c7547664276ba4b6071477a4740.png

This is waiting on me at the shop when I get home. Only 8 waxes to go and it will be ready. I would have had it waxed sprayed and layed up by now, but I had to go get a job and try to make some cash. And insurance!!! In about a month and a half, I'll have insurance!

Anyway, here is whats waiting on me.

l_dfc90c7547664276ba4b6071477a4740.png

What model is that going to be ?? looks Kool ;)

Coop, Assuming from your post you've gotten a job. Good news!!

Are all 27br's mid cabin??

My suggestion would be to make inserts to go in the mold to smooth it out. I wouldn't change the mold itself.

I'm trying to decide if I should leave these in the mold, or go for a smooth look.

Coopsnewgaragejuly2009%20006a.jpg

I've got two of them so I could fill them on this one and leave them on the other.

Thats definatly a good idea, and could be done. I would have to repair the part a bit, but it would make it easy to build it with the scoops later.

Sent you some rep points for that, and it took you out of the red.

Back